Setting and Changing Collation – SQL Server 2008
March 22, 2012 Leave a comment
You can change the collation of sql server without uninstalling. Lets discuss the necessary steps for changing collation for sql server.
Steps for changing collation
- Take backup of all the databases & logins exists in the server for safer side.
- Detach all the user databases
- Insert SQL Server 2008 CD DVD into drive.
- Below is the syntax for changing the collation at serverlevel, please note that this will rebuild all the system databases in that instance/.
setup.exe /q /ACTION=RebuildDatabase /INSTANCENAME=InstanceName /SAPWD="New SA Password" /SQLCollation=CollationName /SQLSYSADMINACCOUNTS="Admin ID"
/q – perform silent installation
/Action – We are rebuilding the system databases to change the collation hence the parameter is always RebuildDatabase only
/INSTANCENAME – Name of the instance you are going to change the collation
/SAPWD – Provide new password for SA login
/SQLCollation – Provide the new collation name of SQL Server
/SQLSYSADMINACCOUNTS – Provide a account name which has admin rights in sql server. Please note that this account should be windows authenticated account having sysadmin privilege in sql server
- Once its done check the new collation of sql server
- Attach all the user databases to SQL Server and r
Thanks to sql-articles.com
Read more: http://sql-articles.com/articles/dba/how-to-change-server-collation-in-sql-server-2008/#ixzz1pu2S8XW3